Sunday, July 20, 2014

Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?

Why did the chicken cross the road? Well, there are plenty of reasons.
But the question is more - why did I cross the road?
Because there was a chicken and I had a slight fear of chickens.

Yes. Ridiculous, but there is a perfectly good reason.
It stems from my childhood when we spent time at my uncle's home.
My uncle had a trampoline - you know, a big one - in the backyard.
You had to walk a little ways to get to it 'cause his backyard was a good size.


Zebra Chicken Doorstop by Chicken Jungle

He also had chickens and a rooster. The rooster was a mean son of a - er - jerk.
Yeah, he was a very, very mean bird! Now this rooster would chase you.
Like really, really chase you. And you didn't want to be caught by him. Oh, no, you didn't.


Chickens At Play Outdoor Sign by Bainbridge Farm Goods

He got a piece of my uncle's toe once.
All of us kids had a healthy dose of fear AND respect.
No one wants a sharp beak tearing your appendages.


Vintage Chicken Sculpture from Etsplace

One day when I was a girl, I ran to the trampoline. Woo!
Made it. Fingers, toes, legs and all are good.
Jump, jump . . more jumping . . Jump, jump - Okay, you get it.


Chicken Clay Earrings by LizGlizz

Time to go back inside. I look left, look right, look down.
I don't see him. Let's do this. All I have to do is go.
I jump off the trampoline and I see him from the corner of my eye.


Chicken Crochet Flap Hat by Knotty Baby Wear

I run. I run like a crazy rooster is chasing me. He was fast and he almost caught me.
Luckily, there was an empty plastic kiddie pool. I leap over it and kick it back.


Primitive Wooden Chicken by The Savvy Shopper 1

I see that he is stuck behind that pool. I never stopped running, though.
I didn't stop running or look back until I was shutting the sliding glass door behind me.
Then I just took a breath. I survived!

Crochet Chicken Coaster by Vest Beret

Now, that happened many years ago. Since then, I have learned more about these incredible creatures.
I've come to adore them. However, I will still walk lightly & watchful about them - Ha!

Share a random childhood story of your own in the comments. I would enjoy reading about it :)

With blessings & joy, yours truly . . . Corrinne Quinn

No comments: